What is a garantie deplacée?

If you are a home owner in France and want to buy a property abroad, in the United Kingdom for instance, then you can do what is known as a garantie deplacée.

The procedure of a garantie deplacée is the same as the one for a mortgage loan.

Taking a garantie deplacée means to mortgage your French property in order to use up to 80% of the funds (that you have released by mortgaging) to buy a new property abroad. So the bank will use the mortgage of your property as collateral.

This procedure has several advantages:

–          It avoids you taking out a loan
–          It allows you to invest your own wealth with competitive rates for25 years
–          It offers you the possibility to buy a new property whenever you want whilst remaining the home owner of your French property.


To do this you need:

–          To own a property in France without a mortgage
–          To release the funds at the Notary’s. The Notary called “Notaire” in France is an independent authority who represents neither the buyer nor the seller but who is here to ensure that the correct procedure is respected
–          To supply a reservation contract (with the translation in French) that proves that you are buying a new property abroad


For more information do not hesitate to contact Sextant French Mortgages on 020 7428 4918 or by email on [email protected]


Tags: , , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, March 4th, 2011 at 7:25 pm and is filed under Finance, French mortgage, French Property, Living in France, Notary fees, Property Investment . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Join our Newsletter!

For latest news and advice about buying property and living in France. Type in your email to subscribe.